Friday, October 29, 2021

Is Now the Time for Electric Ultralights?

 The biggest use of ultralight aircraft is to enjoy flight. To that end, is now the right time for an electric ultralight aircraft? I've been there and done that and want to share my history with you.

My History with Electric Ultralights

I've designed and flown electric aircraft. I threw a lot of money into this one, which featured a carbon fiber fuselage and wing. It is called "SkyDock". I developed it with a gas engine as well.

Electric Ultralight Aircraft

Electric Ultralight in flight

A couple of years before that, I adapted an electric motor to a classic Belite ultralight.

UltraCub ultralight with electric motor

UltraCub Electric Aircraft in flight

To help answer the question:
  1. Ultralights are flown for fun; and electric flight is super fun!
  2. Electric motors are available with incredible value and excellent power;
  3. The best batteries ever are now available;
  4. U.S. ultralight law allows individuals to do this experimentation easily;
  5. Even a company or two (eg: Chip Erwin and Merlin) are publicly showing their work with electric ultralights.
Electric Installations:

Consider a single vs dual motor installation. The SkyDock was setup with two motors, while I flew the Belite with one motor. One of my customers used a very interesting single motor design for his converted UltraCub.

Electric Motor on UltraCub Ultralight

Electric Motor on Ultralight Aircraft

SkyDock with dual Electric Motors

Want to see the electric motors on Skydock doing their thing?:


And even more details of how the Skydock Electric motor installation was designed:

Electric Motor Installation in Skydock

Electric motor in Skydock

Electric motor development for ultralight

Is Now the Time for Electric Ultralights?

Yes, it is.
  • Electric flight in ultralights is proven by myself and others.
  • Batteries can produce acceptable flight times for ultralight aviation.
  • FAR 103 and Experimental rules allow it.
  • Bonus: Electric motors are less expensive than gas motors. (Although offset by battery acquisition costs.)
  • Electric flight has a unique sound signature, better and different than any gas motor.  It's just the prop and the airframe, no combustion sounds!
For further exploration:

I recommend you join this Facebook group, run by Bill Esker:









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LIKE IT!

Lazy_flyer said...

Years of experience with electric airplanes says - mount the propeller ONLY when you are ready to fly.
SAFETY FIRST!

Crispus Attucks said...

I want to electrify my Easy Riser. The two motor setup you have would work though I would want pusher configuration. Do yo have the details of motor/ controller/ batteries? Where you bought it? Even better would be a ‘firewall forward’ of the two motors.